Powered By Blogger

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Been light on the geocaching, but not really. The mini me's found a couple during a rip into FMC, any day is a good day to Geocache.

Lately we've been busy with Scouts and camps. We are very fortunate to have a great Scout Camp located just south of Anzac off of Hwy 881 on Engstrom Lake. We've completed 2 successful camps with all 3 levels of Scouting in the Boreal Frontier. At both of these camps we did gps and directions discussions, along with hiking and 3 geocaches hidden for the Scouts to find. It was a long day of stomping thru the bush with the Scouts, but FUN was had by all - and I think some of what we were doing was sinking in.

Last Thursday I took our Scout Troop for a 1-1/2 hike to locate our Woodward Trail GC - and the Scouts fared well, they needed a bit of help, but for the most part have the gps coordinates, and reading direction well. It was a great hike, we found owl pellets, the GC, a deer skull and antlers and learned a sense of direction. To top it all off, we hauled 3 bags of garbage out of the bush!!!




This past weekend, which will take me 2 days to recover from was another successful geocacher exposing weekend for our Beaver Scouts. Now they are 5-7 yrs old, and learning gps technology, lingo and how-to may seem challenging, but I think they understood the "idea" behind the game, it all went well. The Beavers Scouts got to find a real treasure chest, with Beaveree patches to put on their campfire blankets!! It was FUN!!

Next up 16MAY12 I am hosting a geocaching 101 seminar. Im not 100% what I'm doing, but hey I'll share what I know, lean on my geo-friends and share our experiences and help promote GC, the outdoors and spending quality time with your family!


No comments:

Post a Comment