Powered By Blogger

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Caching the Zac!

Caching the Zac! A geoevent during Anzac Daze Saturday 18 2012

After the good feeling I got from the Geocaching 101 seminar I hosted last spring, I thought I would "attempt" a geoevent. Man did I learn some lessons, but good stuff and enuff to make me want to be involved in a bigger, awesome YMM Geocache event.



I started off with a simple plan to deploy 3 GC's in and around Anzac during Anzac Daze 2012. KISS I thought, but the challenges of dealing with people from behind a computer made my blood boil...a bit.

I sought out 3, well actually 4 locations on one of my Fridays to myself, 6 pack on board and bug fug! The locations are spread out over Anzac, but a good hike if you like the challenge (Scouter Gizmo did 5 GC's on Saturday on foot). I built the caches complete with Anzak Kamo, and filled with some of the best SWAG to date in the YMM area, maybe Alberta (from what I've experienced). All deployed, coordinates double checked, caches stashed - go to go. Well except for the lovely run in with the official from geocaching.com he is a stickler for the book, which I can respect, but everyones perception of those rules varies. ANYwho, after some much challenging emails, we came to agreement to post the caches on geocaching.com and all was good. All we needed was sunshine and some cachers, both of which we fond.

What a great day, solid breakfast served by the church, not a cloud in site, geocaching in the air, and a small town carnival. Bouncy things, horseshoes, crib tourney, beer garden (I attended when off the clock), kids face painting, burgers, goodies, veggie contest (who's is actually BIGGER) and more!!

Our cachers who are also friends and Scouts turned up to help kick off the 1st annual? (we'll see). They all had a great time, and I had a table full of prizes to give away! All the participants found the caches and logged their visits, that went well. I asked for feedback and all the caches received passing marks! I'll know for next time to post the event well in advance on geocaching.com to entice more folks, but this was a test and our folks who joined us understood that! All in all, went well and I thank our good friends 3Strykes for joining us with Penny and being great sports.

As for the rest of the day, Anzac is a great community (IMHO) to raise our kids in today's crazy paced world. I can sit there and visit with our friends, neighbours and town folk and not worry about my kids. All the while I am concious of their where abouts, between everyone there, my kids are safe and it feels good. Our community always comes together (albeit the same faces over and over doing the work) we have fun, and it's small town.

Living and having fun in the Zac.




1 comment:

  1. Awesome Job! I wrote about it on my blog too...

    http://twolooniesandapenny.blogspot.ca/2012/08/caching-in-zac.html

    We just planted a new cache yesterday, check it out!
    http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=169a057a-ef7c-4103-aa4d-2cbe89d1c50d

    ReplyDelete